Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sunday Crafty Goodness: Washi Tape Holder

Hello friends, happy Sunday and welcome to what I hope will be a weekly post: Sunday Crafty Goodness!  I'm always trying to figure out new and better and cuter ways to organize my craft and scrapbook supplies and other things around the house and since scrapbooking is generally what I focus on, I thought it would be fun to take one day a week and showcase crafts other than scrapbook pages!

Today I finally figured out a better way to store my washi tape so it's easier to see and much more accessible to use and I wanted to share it with you :)  I've seen the cute tape dispensers coming out, but sometimes I really hate spending lots of money on something when I can rig something from supplies I already have!  And I like having something I can personalize and decorate and make my own ;)

This is where my washi tape used to live:
A random piece of ribbon that has a velcro fastening :)  All my washi tape was on it and when I needed a particular color I shifted the the rolls down to get the one I needed to the opening, pull it off, use it, put it back.......not very convenient!  And not very pretty either :)

So, using an empty Snapfish box, fun colored duct tape, a box cutter and wooden dowels I set out to make something better :)
 I cut the lid off the box and, using my Crop-A-Dile Big Bite, I punched two holes in either end, equal distance from the edges and each other to give my washi tape room to spin :)  Then I got busy with the tape!  I used the white tape to reinforce the corners and cover the inside and out.  Wherever possible I tried to avoid taping over the holes I'd already punched but when I did cover them I used my small, non-stick scissors to punch through and keep the holes visible.

To add a pop of color and make the bottom look nice and finished I used the pink tape:
 
Once I trimmed the dowels to a more manageable size and slid them into the box I added a "stopper" using teal duct tape, just so the dowels wouldn't slide out and dump my tape out and get lost!  I cut a 1/2 inch square of tape and folded it around the top and then took a strip of tape and wrapped it around to make the stopper.  At the other end I took another strip of tape and wrapped it once around the bottom; enough bulk to keep it in place, but not so much that I can't pull it in and out to add/change/remove rolls of tape as I need to.

 Wanna see the finished project?  Here she is:
My most often used and basic colored washi tape!  Nice and organized and VERY accessible and so cute, with the added bonus of being very portable!  My new WT dispenser measures 9in long by 4in wide by 1.75in tall; and since the stoppers make things pretty solid and secure, it'll be easy to throw into my scrapper tote to take to crops :)  I do have some more specialty varieties (Disney, Christmas, etc.) but I keep them in their individually themed drawers.  I did toy with taking apart some aluminum foil boxes and adding a nice serrated edge on either side, but since washi tape is so easy to tear anyway, I figured why risk the blood shed?  Lol!

So, there you have it, today's Sunday Crafty Goodness!  How do you store your washi tape?

Maymie


No comments:

Post a Comment