Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Crafty Goodness: Decorated Tray

Hello friends, happy Sunday :)  Today's crafty goodness is one of 3 wall hangings I've been working on for my boys.  I LOVE decorating trays and shadow boxes to hang on the wall :)  I like that you can use a photo and add little details that really tell the story of a photo or the person in the photo.  OR not use a photo at all and make something cute to hang in your office or bedroom or wherever.  These are two that I've made--one with a photo, one without:



For the white one (lil' Miss's) I used 3 photos from a photo shoot she and I did in 2011.  I loved the colors of her scarf and hat and tried to incorporate those in the ribbon streamer.  It was so fun for me to make because I rarely get to make really girly stuff!

The black one was my first attempt at tray decorating.  I loved the Live. Laugh. Love. card from my Simple Stories stash and decorated around it.  Some burlap, lace, vintage buttons and we're set!  The gold button on the upper left corner actually came from an old coat of my grandmother's :)  It was destined for the trash pile but I snagged all the buttons first!


So today I worked on Mr. J's tray; gathered all my supplies:

 6x6 paper pads are AWESOME for this :) I seem to waste less paper and the prints are sometimes smaller and better for smaller spaces.  This tray is a 6x6 and the big opening is just under 6x4 inches.  Easy to trim a piece of paper for the photo backdrop!

Once I had the big opening covered I used my 1 7/8ths square stamp punch to punch out my 3 squares of paper.  For this tray I kind of like the jagged edges that allow the black to show through a bit in the small squares.

Then, I used my detail scissors to cut out the framed saying that I put on the upper left corner.

Next, sorting through metal embellishments!
I love the copper coins with letters on them :)  They're actually reversible, with the upper case on one side and the lower case on the other.

Now to finish it up :)  I use glue specifically for metal to attach the coins, button and metal key to the paper and then glue dots to hold the paper to the tray.  I used my hot glue gun to attach a piece of jute twine to the back for hanger.  And then, the hardest part:  waiting for all the glue to dry so I can hang it up!  I generally try to leave any project that I've used metal glue or Elmer's glue laying down in my craft room before I hang it, just to make sure that glue is really dry and my embellishments aren't sliding around :)

Happy crafty Sunday friends!  Take care and have a great week!


Maymie 

No comments:

Post a Comment